Micro-needling may sound new to some but beauty enthusiasts in Toronto have been pursuing it for years. It is one of the many techniques used by medical practitioners to restore old, unattractive skin. Like all other invasive and non-invasive beauty procedures, it is centered on collagen production.
What Is Micro-Needling?
Also referred to as dermal rolling, micro-needling is a natural and safe cosmetic skin renewal procedure where microneedles are injected into the skin to cause a ‘micro-injury’. The goal is to improve the appearance of the skin by eliminating stretch marks, large pores, wrinkles, and stretch marks through the stimulation of new collagen and other growth factors. It treats an array of skin problems by prompting the skin to produce more collagen thereby enhancing a soft, smooth, and youthful-looking skin.
This skin renewal treatment was founded by the skincare brand Environ’s Dr- Des Fernandes back in 1997 when he first experimented with it. Great strides have been made since then and it now makes for one of the effective and safe cosmetic procedures in the world.
Micro-needling in Toronto utilizes customized micro-needling treatments that suit every client’s skin type, aesthetic goals, and concerns giving a boost of skin appearance after a few appointments.
Pro-Tips of Caring For Your Skin both Before and After the Treatment
Even though most micro-needling in Toronto businesses adhere to strict safety standards, there are a few things you need to do to ensure the utmost care for your skin pre and post the treatment.
Pre-Treatment Care Tips
- Do not wax or apply depilatory creams on the area one week to the treatment
- Avoid inflammatory drugs 3 days prior to the treatment. These include Advil, ibuprofen, and Motrin
- Don’t shave the treatment area on the day of the treatment
- No topical agents such as exfoliating masks, topical antibiotics, and acids 5-7 days prior to the treatment. These can cause irritations or dry out the skin
- Do not expose your skin to the sun or use tanning beds/ tanning products for 24 hours before the treatments and up to 1 week after the treatment. These often result in the appearance of white or dark spots which can become permanent if micro-needling is done on the sunburned skin.
- Let your Toronto doctor know about any tattoos or any history of cold sores before your appointment.
- Avoid Acutance and all forms of photosensitizing medications for duration of 6 months before the procedure.
Post-Treatment Care Tips
- Expect some redness 1-3 days after the procedure. The skin might also feel dry, tight, sensitive, and swollen. As much as you can, avoid picking on the exfoliated area.
- Using a mild cleanser such as tepid water, gently wash the treated area twice a day then apply a soothing moisturizer.
- Do not expose your skin in the sun for at least 1-2 weeks post treatment. Use a full spectrum sunblock if you must leave the house during this time.
- Micro-needling Toronto professional also recommends staying away from sweaty exercises as well as steam baths, Jacuzzi, and sauna in case of any skin irritation.
- Avoid any exfoliating products for at least one week after the treatment.
- To reduce swelling, sleep on your back and make sure your head is elevated.
- If you run into any discomfort during the recovery process, you may use ice packs or pain-relieving medications such as Tylenol and Advil.
- For even better results, your Toronto doctor will tell you to have a series of 6 treatments administered at intervals of 2-4 weeks.
These are just some of the tips of success when caring for your skin before and after a micro-needling treatment. Make sure to go for a qualified doctor to ensure a higher level of safety when going for micro-needling in Toronto. Your skin will certainly thank you for it!